Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sleeping!


Oh what a great sight to see. :) James has completely taken to falling asleep on his own and sleeping in his crib for both naps and nighttime! I can hardly believe it, but he must have been a bit sleep deprived because after 4 nights of this new arrangement he is sleeping about 11 hours at night (without waking) and about 3 1/2 hours during the day! It did take some crying to get there and it was incredibility hard on me (somewhat hard on Nathan), but James seems so much more rested and he doesn't fuss at night because we get him to bed early before he is overtired. The sad part is that I don't get to hold and play with him as much and for the first day or so he wasn't quite himself because he was tired the whole day. But now he's pretty much back to his smiley, happy self and I have a few extra hours to myself and for Nathan. It wouldn't be fair to James to deprive him of the sleep he needs in order to have more time with him. I was initially worried about letting him cry because I felt like it was so insensitive and detaching at a time when James is learning to trust us to meet his needs. But as our pediatrician and the book I'm reading say, we will have to teach him some difficult lessons throughout life and learning to fall asleep is just one of them. I just make sure that the time that I do have with him is completely focused on him and continuing to form a special bond with him!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah!! I'm so happy for you guys! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellen. I probably shouldn't get too excited yet. It's only been a few days and I'm sure there will be more crying in the future :( I just have to keep reminding myself that overall he will cry less because we hopefully won't have to fight sleep every night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true!!! It took me forever with aaliyah to feel comfortable with leaving her alone at night in her room, and the worst was listening to her cry:( but wow is it worth it now. The first second i see a tired little girl its off to bed. Then she is never over tired and sleeps great all night!! You are doing the right thing!! I was so against it until i was reading books and listening to other peoples input. I am so happy it went well for you guys!! Love and miss you!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just now catching up on your blog. How wonderful to see that James is sleeping better!

    ReplyDelete